to the world you may be nobody... but to someone in Guatemala you may be the world!!!any assistance that SOS is able to provide, is offered in such a way as to always empower the Maya people..
Sending Out Servants (SOS) assistance programs...because of individuals with compassion, generosity and a vision for a better world, SOS is able to assist the Maya...
SOS Ministry of Presence allows us to be able to respond to the expressed needs of the Maya not out of pity for them or from its own self- interests, but from a true spirit of solidarity with the Maya in their desire to improve the quality of their lives.
While our major role is to be a Ministry of Presence, we are sensitive to the material needs of our brothers and sisters in Quiché.
SOS Assistance Programs are developed to help Maya men, women and children regardless of creed or race. Programs include:
• medical supplies, equipment and medicines
• vision clinics and eyeglasses
• cataract surgeries –medical referral support
• children/families in medical crisis
• emergency funds for natural disasters
• adobe chimney stoves
• income producing skills/co-op
• computer labs
• Purchasing Bibles, resource materials, paper and pencils for Catechists
teaching the Maya the Word of God in rural areas
• Providing building materials
SOS areas of greatest need...
• donated office space
subsidies for vital team members for the Vision Team and Surgical Team
• subsidies to offset mission costs of customs taxes when bringing in medical
supplies like eye glasses, medicines, etc.
• Purchasing Bibles, resource materials, paper and pencils for Catechists teaching
the Maya the Word of God in rural areas
• Sponsoring vital surgical support teams members to go on mission with
the Cataract Surgical Team